Sunday, November 24, 2013

baroque in okc

Something special happened today! Here in OKC there was an authentic baroque concert given. As you know, baroque music is my absolute favorite. I have a passion for it. So when I heard there would be a concert given I was extremely excited. I was worried it would be canceled, as we had a bit of snow and places in OK like to close up when it snows. (Starbucks was closed today!)

The concert was in the beautiful chapel at the First Presbyterian church. 

The exceptional musicians were Brad Bennight on harpsichord, and Henning Vater on violin. I was very anxious, so I arrived early. Actually, I was the first audience member haha! (I was only 15 minutes early!)



Walking into the chapel I saw the harpsichord, and it brought back memories of my first baroque concert in Amsterdam. 

The harpsichordist, Brad Bennight, built this beautiful instrument. And an interesting fact about the violinist, he was playing an Italian violin from around 1750. Apparently Haydn had a viola from the same maker of this violin! 



The concert was absolutely amazing. I was in a place only baroque music can take me, and the program was great. Two amazing composers. Prior to this concert I had only heard a few pieces by Krebs, and that's a shame because the music was wonderful. I even purchased a CD of Bennight playing Krebs harpsichord music afterwards. It was truly an amazing performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment