Thursday, August 2, 2012

baroque criticism

So, lately I've been going to the gym to try and get into better shape. I always do about an hour on the recumbent bikes. They sometimes can get boring, but as long as I have some good music to listen to, it's all good! So, what do I usually listen to? It really depends on what mood I'm in. Some nights it may be Philip Glass, others Lady Gaga, but tonight was Vivaldi and Pergolesi.

Baroque music is one of my passions. I find it one of the most beautiful and underrated eras/genres of music. I go to a pretty big music school, and you would be quite amazed at how many music majors, people who want to continue music for the rest of their life,  find baroque music ugly or, the ornamentation annoying! 

I'm sitting in music theory class.
Professor: "Today we're going to talk about inventions."
Me: "Yay!! How exciting!" I think to myself.
The professor turns on a recording over the sound system of one of Bach's inventions. It is being performed on a harpsichord, with utmost skill and beauty! I am instantly in heaven. I adore this sound. The beautiful ornamentation... ah....
But once it ended, people actually complained. They said the harpsichord was absolutely disgusting sounding, and when one student suggested the ornamentation was annoying, 4-5 other people chimed in and agreed!

There's been many other incidents at school, where I have noticed people being annoyed, or not liking baroque music. There are a select group of people at my university, who simply won't or can't appreciate instrumental music at all... I know not all vocalists are like this, but there are some out there who could never see the beauty in a symphony.. "If it's not Broadway, it's not beautiful."

I guess this is just me seeing the importance of appreciating all sorts of musics. Nationalities, eras, genres, instrumentation, setting, etc. 


P.S. To any of you who dislike baroque music, I fully understand it's just a taste thing! No hard feelings <3

No comments:

Post a Comment